Sunday, April 28, 2013

Sandwich Seva | Namrata Vakkalagadda

Every month for the past three years, I have attended a community service project part of my religious school called Sandwich Seva, where we make seventy-five bags filled with two peanut-butter jelly sandwiches, a bar, an apple, and a juice to give to the Julian Center. Although I would regularly attend, I never really gave much thought to how this was benefiting our society. A few months ago, I attended a get-together with other from my religious school where dinner was being provided. There was a lot of left-over food, and so my family said they would take it over to the Julian Center. I had only been there once before, before I started participating in the Sandwich Seva, and so I had never really connected the actions I was doing to the people I was supposedly helping. As we arrived at the Julian Center, I realized why I take a measly one hour every month to make those seventy-five lunch bags: it was to help these people who were at a low point in their lives, and needed a little bit of help to keep them on their feet. The way the center graciously took the left-over food made me feel blessed. I was able to attend a get-together where there was more than enough food present, while others in our city waited for long-periods of time to receive even small amounts of food. After that event, I started to take my participation in the Sandwich Seva much more seriously and tried to make every effort my best, so that I could at least provide these people with the best for this one meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment