Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Opportunity | Hannah Bollar

Going through daily life seems to be the most natural thing for everyone to do: the studying, the homework, the hard work that we put ourselves through and complain about many a time.

However, during my first NHS KIPP session, I had an eye-opening experience. I never realized the drastic difference in opportunities that Harker actually provides. I had a prior understanding that Harker taught students diligently and instilled within them a love for learning; however, I never truly understood the extent to which this made us truly privileged people. On the way home from the first session, my brother and I compared notes on our experiences there. He was tutoring a small group of sixth graders who would stumble on even some of the easiest words in  children’s books like Dr. Seuss. I was astonished; I had always taken my ability to read for granted. If children such as the ones I encountered, who are attempting to escape their impoverished life by aiming for college and trying to perform well at school are not even able to read fluently, then what about those who do not have the opportunity to aim for colleg?. What about those who have to drop out of school to help with family expenses or other reasons? What about them?

Before, I took all my experiences, privileges, and abilities for granted: my parents’ decision to send me to a private school and the opportunity to explore my future and give it multiple possibilities.

To my parents – I cannot thank you enough for everything you’ve done for me and working to better my future possibilities.

Don’t take your opportunities for granted.

No comments:

Post a Comment