Saturday, March 9, 2013

Beethoven | Zina Jawadi

I have played classical piano since Kindergarten, and for many years, I preferred other classical music composers over Beethoven. However, over the years, I have gained a deeper appreciation of Beethoven, not only because music theory has increasingly allowed me to better understand his music, but more likely because I started connecting with him through our common disability: hearing loss.  For example, Beethoven had just completed a magnificent performance of one of his operas, earning him a standing ovation; however, Beethoven did not even hear the applause and ignored the audience, leaving everybody in tears.  In my humble ways, I have unknowingly ignored people waving at me or greeting me.  My father told me that one day, as he had just dropped me off at school, he noticed that a student waved at me and said good morning, but I had completely walked by the person without even smiling. While I had no intention of being disrespectful, I may have been perceived as rude - and I apologize immensely for all the times I have done this, which I cannot estimate, because I don't even know!  These small common struggles have allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of Beethoven, and Beethoven has now become a new source of inspiration for me, somebody who defied all odds and continued to compose music, even after he became deaf.  Let's all become the next Beethoven - the next person who defies all of society's underestimations and, instead, changes the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment