Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Invisible Disability | Zina Jawadi

Last year, I thought of starting a disability club, but Mr. Williamson, Harker's high school Dean of Students, wisely recommended a more ambitious Disability Awareness Program instead.  Inspired by Mr. Williamson's suggestion, I reached out to Dr. Vinton Cerf, the inventor of the internet who also has hearing loss, to invite him to speak at Harker.  Despite his busy schedule and his living and working in the East Coast, Dr. Cerf graciously accepted.  On January 11, 2013, the Disability Awareness Program celebrated its first event, a speech by Dr. Cerf.  The assembly was a resounding success and a huge hit with both faculty and students.  A few days later, the program's second activity followed:  a hearing loss simulation spelling quiz.  The assembly and activity taught me the value of passion.  I am hearing impaired, I am dedicated to disability causes, and I always feel compelled to advocate for the civil liberties of people with disabilities.  Driven by my love of advocacy and disability rights, I felt ignited by a force larger than my own capabilities to achieve what seemed like a big task of organizing an event of this magnitude.  For the first time, I witnessed hundreds of students and tens of faculty seriously moved and influenced by something so dear to my heart.

I would like to thank Dr. Cerf, Mr. Williamson, Mr. Keller, Ms. Kohan, and many others who helped make this event such a success.  Hearing loss is often described as an invisible disability; however, this week, hearing loss was anything but invisible.  Rather, hearing loss was the impetus in changing people's attitudes about disabilities.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Zina!
    It's been a couple of months, but I still remember Mr. Cerf's talent for delivering such a powerful message in an unpretentious, impactful, and witty way. Thank you so much for organizing and presenting such a wonderful speaker. I really admire the way that you stand up for what you believe in and spread your message of acceptance and encouragement in posts like these!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Apoorva,

    Thanks for the thoughtful and kind note.  I am so honored and delighted that you benefited from the assembly!   I still remember your clever musical performance at the HOSCARS last year.  You deserved the standing ovation that you received.

    Warmest regards,

    Zina

    ReplyDelete